Logo
Please visit our Sponsors

FAQs on Freshwater Invertebrates 

Related Articles: Freshwater Invertebrates, Snails, Freshwater ShrimpFresh to Brackish Water Crabs,

Related FAQs:

Worms in my 3 week old planted tank.        7/6/15
We have just started a new tropical aquarium. We have just noticed small white worms in the algae on the wood. They appear to be eating the algae.
<Neat! Bob Fenner>
Re: Worms in my 3 week old planted tank.      7/7/15

Do you think they would be harmful to any fish we introduce.
<Not likely... but the wood decomposing may well cause them water quality issues.
<I would take the wood out, read on WWM re processing to make it safe. BobF>

Fluke like thing! I just planted a tank and a week later I noticed a fluke like thing, brown, that was " inch worming" it's way across the glass.  Is this going to hurt my guppies, or will they eat it.?  Nasty thing.  Thanks, I worried.  Judy <Hi Judy.  I doubt this creature will be harmful to your Guppies.  If it were a Fluke you would find it attached to your fish.  If they can fit it in their mouth, and it tastes ok, chances are they will eat it.  Keep a check on water quality, do not over feed and everything should be fine.  If you can get a picture of this creature feel free to send it along.  Best Regards, Gage>

Oh no! Odonata!  Hi Bob sorry the pics didn't come through, they are regular .jpg files. <See them now.> Anyways will try again using this email.   You may not be able to reply since we just made some changes to our email server last night.  If possible reply to the other address if this one does not work.   One of the pics is of my gravel, I want your opinion on it for plant growing, I am thinking of mixing some peat and sand for a 1" layer then a 2" layer above it using this existing gravel (UG plate under it atm).   2 Maxi Jet 1000 power heads in the tank along with a magnum 350.   I am looking forward to ditching the UG plates and power heads and adding an Eheim canister to go with the magnum.   <A good idea. At least what I would do. What you have is an odonatan larva... a dragonfly early life stage... a ravenous feeder on fishes, tadpoles, other organisms... I would trap, otherwise catch it out and remove it. Bob Fenner>

Become a Sponsor Features:
Daily FAQs FW Daily FAQs SW Pix of the Day FW Pix of the Day New On WWM
Helpful Links Hobbyist Forum Calendars Admin Index Cover Images
Featured Sponsors: